6 Things Parents With Growing Kid(s) Should Know & Do

My wife and I raised two little boys who were three years apart. I know they can be very trying, especially on Mom. So, what I’m about to suggest to you comes from good experience with this subject.

You have maybe one or two years to turn those kids around. I know they’re young but don’t be fooled. The character you build in them now is what they will live with the rest of their lives.

I have six simple suggestions…


1. Turn off the television.

2. Take them to the park. A big park is best so they can work off all that energy.

3. Read to them.

4. You and Dad need to stand together on the matter of discipline. If you don’t, it’s all over.

5. Never repeat yourself to a child. Tell him once. 

When he ignores you, pick him up and take him off to one side or in another room and lower the boom. Don’t hurt him. Just be plain spoken. Act promptly. And never make a threat you do not intend to act on.

6. Get your family in a church that loves children. 

You need help, a support team. You cannot raise these kids alone. You need God’s help and the strength of a family of believers.

I do not believe the character of a child is permanently fixed as a toddler, even if I implied otherwise. But so much of who they are is well established by the time they are five. My wife and I adopted a five-year-old daughter, so we also know this, and could tell you story after story.

Even if your child is an adult now, don’t give up, friend. Pray and love them, and seek God’s wisdom. If you do not believe in the power of prayer, you will throw up your hands in despair. Pray or despair. Those are your choices. God help you.

[written by Joe McKeever]


Source:





EmoticonEmoticon